Panettone for more than seventy years
The history of Panettone Vergani is our family history. Although we grew from a small shop to a large company, we have preserved (and handed down) our values and traditions for four generations to uphold the excellence of the Vergani brand. Today we are the only (and last) Milanese to produce Panettone on an industrial scale in Milan.
It all began back in 1944, in a small pastry shop on Viale Monza, Milan. Angelo Vergani – an enterprising young man who loved baking as much as his home town – decided to start his own business.
Milan was experiencing difficult years and the sound of the bombing still echoed through the sky, but his desire to start again and his passion for his job were stronger than any bomb. Because of his use of natural ingredients and his constant pursuit of quality, “Mr. Vergani” soon became known and appreciated among his fellow citizens, and specialised in the production of the real Milanese Panettone.
More than seventy years have passed and our current laboratory (a few hundred metres from the first bakery) now produces 600,000 Panettone loafs every year, but each of them is special because it is made according to an old tradition, with the same craftsmanship and following the original recipe handed down to us by great-grandfather Angelo. The true secret to the best Panettone? The ingredients, of course.